When I meet someone for the first time, I will usually put them through the drill of 50 questions. It’s not really 50 questions, but I’m sure it seems like it if you’re on the receiving end of it! When I do this, it drives my kids crazy. They feel as though I’m being too forward or that I’m being “creepy.” But truthfully, this is my way of getting to know and understand that person better. It even helps me to identify any commonalities we may have.
At one of our leader retreats in Minnesota, we had a guest speaker that put us through an exercise that I found very interesting. The exercise helped to identify experiences and goals in your life that are unique to you. Things that help you communicate to a complete stranger who you are and what you’re about – in just a few short minutes.
Below is a list of my own unique experiences; of which I am continually expanding and adding on to.
- My wife and kids are everything to me and what I do on a daily basis is for them.
- My first full-time job I made $9,600 annually.
- As a kid I could’ve been considered a bully.
- I’ve been in a meeting with a Billionaire from Canada.
- I’ve flown in a private jet.
- I’m claustrophobic and there’s no way you’ll ever catch me in a cave.
- I’ve been on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange for the opening bell.
- I’ve done a fire-walk.
- My daughter and I traveled with the Pittsburgh Steelers team to an away game in Denver.
- I’ve killed a 9’4” brown bear in Alaska with one shot at 182 yds.
- I’m scared as hell to lose my wife or kids.
- I wish I could play the acoustic guitar.
- I’ve met the likes of Van Halen, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Billy Idol, Kansas, Kiss, Def Leppard, ZZ Top, Alice Cooper, John Travolta, Eli Manning, Adrian Petersen, Kurt Warner, Junior Seau, Shannon Sharpe, Marcus Allen, Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Donovan McNabb, AC/DC, Damn Yankees, Joan Jett, Jon Bon Jovi, Hulk Hogan and more.
- I’ve ridden in a hot air balloon.
- I pray daily.
- I love winter – the more snow we get the bigger the smile on my face.
- Building our lake home is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
- It’s my dream to someday work alongside one of my kids in the family business.
- I can’t wait to be a Grandparent.
- There’s nothing I like about a mushroom – other than hunting for them.
- It’s my desire to someday own a restaurant or upscale lounge.
- In December of 2000, I was the number one selling associate for all of U.S. Cellular out of roughly 5,000 associates at the time.
- I’m a very emotional person.
- I’ve flown in a helicopter.
- While hunting black bear in Canada a bear climbed a tree and got within 2 feet of my son and I.
- Two dreams of mine are to someday own a home in Aspen, Colorado and a private jet.
- I have a love for music as it often takes me back in time.
- At the age of 12, I won a trip to Washington D.C. for selling the most newspaper subscriptions for the Oelwein Daily Register.
- I turned down my dream job in December of ’95, as the Promotions Director and doing mid-days for KGGO in Des Moines.
- Some of the most prestigious contacts in my phone are Tory Burch – world-renowned Fashion Designer, Ethan Casson – CEO of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Barbara Corcoran – NYC Real Estate mogul and star of the TV show Shark Tank.
- I feared for my life in the Fall of ’17, while hunting brown bear in Alaska.
- I’ve been to 4 Super Bowls, 2 Pro Bowls, 3 Men’s NCAA Final Four’s and the U.S. Open.
- After having a flight canceled in Denver, Colorado, I rented a car and traveled with a complete stranger for 3 ½ hours to our final destination in Aspen, Colorado.
- My proudest moments in life are the births of my three children.
After reading through my personal experiences and goals – I hope to encourage you to start a journal of your own. Use your journal to document all your own experiences to help you discover who you are and what makes you unique!